Wednesday, June 25, 2008

New Summer Faves

Should I be embarrassed that my list of summer favorites consist only of foods? Yeah, but I'll get over it...

Artichokes?! Now this delicious delicacy may be old news to many of you, well probably most of you, but I have to finally admit that although I love artichoke hearts, and have since high school, I've never ventured to try the whole thing. It always seemed like so much effort for such a little payoff when I could buy a whole jar of hearts (aren't they the best part anyways?) and not have to work an ounce to eat them - well unless you count lifting fork to mouth as working. In my renewed quest to eat healthier, and my need to expand my menu options I decided not being able to pound down your meal in 2 minutes flat might be a good thing. And the best part is - it was good! I felt a little foolish having to keep kicking Evan off the computer so I could see how to prep it, then how to cook it, then embarrassingly enough - how to eat it. You read that right folks, I found a website that had step by step instructions ( along with pictures!) on how to eat an artichoke. I'll probably regret announcing that I needed help with everything from which end of the petal goes in my mouth to what part of the thing I was actually supposed to eat. (unfortunately, the trial and error thing was not working for me - nasty) Anyways, I'm now the artichoke pro and can answer any and all questions regarding the proper way tho eat an artichoke - my certificate is in the mail.
While down in Cali. this past week I had the chance to try fish tacos for the first time. Again, probably not anything new to most of you, but for me-seeing how I just recently entered the world of fish eaters- I've never had them before. Let me just say, HEAVEN ON EARTH. I love them and now I'm sad that I'll have a hard time finding a good place for fish tacos in Utah to meet the demand of my new daily cravings for them. Anyone know of a good place, please let me know...we can go together even, it'll be fun! Last, but certainly not least, strawberry shakes from Carl's Jr. Now these are something new to everyone, seeing as how they're new to Carl's Jr. - so there. I'm not a huge fan of ice cream but I'll take one of these anytime (this is going to be a problem). Other places have strawberry shakes, but do they put the perfect amount of whip cream on with a little maraschino cherry on top? I don't think so. It's the perfect summer treat and starting to crave it as I'm typing about it - dude, this really is going to be a problem.

Anyways, some food for thought (sorry, I had to) - let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I would have to do the research on artichokes just like you did. No clue what to do with one. I loved some fish tacos I had at Cafe Rio once. So yummy.

Wendy said...

I have to say I'm surprise about your Carl's strawberry shake. I had one on my free day and was sorely disappointed. It was way too runny for my taste! I'd much prefer something like In-N-Out strawberry/vanilla. To each their own, right?

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you liked your fish taco. I hope next time you come down I won't be so busy and I can cook for you more - I think you'd like the fish we cook and some other things as well. I must say one of the best fishes is the Macadamia Crusted Mahi at Chart House (spell check that for me K?)

Natalie said...

I love the whole food thing. What a great idea. I need to figure out how to eat artichokes also. Where we live there is fields and fields of them growing.

People say they are soo good, you will have to let me know your website so I can give them a try!

Hope all is well, love looking at your blog and seeing how life is going in good old Utah!

Diane said...

I love artichoke hearts but have found preparing and eating artichokes are more work than they are worth. Besides, I use way too much butter when eating the individual leaves. Did you find that to be true? Was it all worth it to do again?