Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Very BIG Thank You

To my family and friends in California fighting to protect marriage with Proposition 8…Thank you. Thank you for standing against opposition, holding your ground in this battle, for I know it is a battle you’re fighting down there. I’ve heard stories of attacks, egging and vandalism and I can’t imagine the courage it takes for you to push forward.
The Apostle Paul prophesied of “perilous times” in the last days (2 Tim. 3:1), and he warned, “We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Eph. 6:12).
From early on we knew this day would come, this day when we must set ourselves apart and stand as disciples of Christ against evil in very public ways.
“I am one who believes that the situation is far from hopeless. I am satisfied that there is no need to stand still and let the filth and violence overwhelm us or to run in despair. The tide, high and menacing as it is, can be turned back if enough…will add their strength to the strength of the few who are now effectively working. I believe the challenge to oppose this evil is one from which members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as citizens, cannot shrink.” President Hinckley
You are not alone in this fight. The Lord knows of this struggle and He will guide and protect you. My heart is filled with gratitude and admiration for your courage and faith. To my sister Wendy, know that I am so proud of you. I know you are out there literally pounding the pavement trying to get the word out any way you can and I am cheering you on up here. I know the hours you have spent on this and I can’t tell you how often I get choked up thinking about you and your courage. Your girls will know what you did and what you stood up for and that even when times got hard you choose the Lord – there is no greater lesson that you can teach them. To the rest of my friends and family, I pray that you will have peace in your heart and that the Lord will sustain you through these troubling times. Thank you for your example.
Isaiah promised, “In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee” (Isa. 54:14).
The Lord Himself encouraged, “Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come” (D&C 68:6).

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I couldn't have said that any better myself...

Diane said...

Beautifully stated! Amen to all you said.

Wendy said...

Thank you for your kind words. You made me cry. Tears dripping off my chin. Know that I am fighting for all our families. For my kids, for my immediate family, for my extended family, for my ancestors. I can't count the hours I've invested these last several months but I can't imagine it any other way. I got bitten by this bug. Once I asked myself what I will say when the Lord asks me "where were you when the war on the family was raging in your front yard?" there was no turning back. I knew I had to be on the front lines. No matter the outcome we will continue this fight. Thanks for your support! Love you.

Janan said...

ditto. seriously.

Jenni said...

v-i-c-t-o-r-y!!

at leat there was one in this election! thanks to your sisters for all their hard work!

Stacy Sorensen said...

Stated beautifully. As members of the church we come from a history of persecution. So, I think we have real and valid fears of standing out. But just like in those early days we have been blessed by valiant servants of the Lord. People who have given of themselves to promote the greater good. I too thank you for your work, dedication and example.