Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Arizona Or Bust

Darren had a business trip to Arizona a few weeks ago and when I found out it was over spring break I thought it would be fun for all of us to tag along...notice I said "I". (kidding) We packed up the car and headed down to Phoenix for a one week stay at a resort located by the Butte mountain range. As we drove we watched the thermostat in the car slowly rise the closer we got to Arizona...we were in for a hot one! The kids were excited for the pools and hot tubs but most important was the water slide...CLOSED for repairs! We made the best of it anyways and spent A LOT of time at the pool. Ryann and Evan usually swim with life jackets on and we forgot them so I was worried about how the week might go. I can't have two bodies hanging on me constantly and I didn't trust them outside my reach. I found some cheap water wings and was amazed at how well the two of them did. By the end of the week Reilly had taught Ryann how to kick her legs and actually swim with the wings on. She was swimming the whole length of the pool - no problem. I am this close to being able to take my kids to the pool and read a book instead of be the human diving board in the pool...yea! We were also able to sneak in a trip to the HUGE outlet mall and a catch a movie in between all the swimming. It wasn't until the very last day there that I found the nice parts of town. For the first 3 days we would go out exploring in what must have been the ghetto and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. The kids and I loved Horton Hears A Who, Ryann and Evan are still quoting their favorite lines, but most of all we had a great time getting away as a family and soaking up the Arizona sun. We wanted to break up the trip heading back so we stayed overnight in Vegas. Unfortunately when we arrived the pool was closing in 15 minutes so we decided to walk around and we would swim all day tomorrow. The kids were a little disappointed but when we told them about the fun water slides they were willing to wait. The next morning we packed up and headed out to the pool and wouldn't you know...the water slide was freakin' closed for cleaning!!!! You just don't get our kind of luck...it's earned. The kids still had fun but I had an ear infection coming on that was getting worse by the day, so I had to sit out while Darren had a turn swimming with the kids:) In all my years growing up in California, practically living at our neighborhood pool in the summer, the swim suits that people wear still never ceases to amaze me. Apparently you can be 200 pounds over weight and think it's okay to wear a tiny bikini when children are around - or my favorite, the man in a speedo two sizes too small - Ryann actually thought he was naked, DUDE! What ever your selling...NO ONE is interested.

Gas to and from Arizona: $350
Pina coladas by the pool: $8
Visit to instacare for a major ear infection: $30

Road trip with the family: Priceless

3 comments:

Diane said...

I'm just glad it wasn't my brother wearing the speedo. Glad you're back.

Jules said...

Warm weather and sunny days. Sounds so good right now as it is cold and drizzly here! Love your knack for storytelling.

Natalie said...

Emily,

What a fun family roadtrip. Sorry to hear that the pools were all closed, sounds like my luck!

My little sister told me you were at the big boutique! Well it is so fun to hear how everyone is doing. We are doing good and loving the warm California weather. We are all doing good and everyone misses Utah but loves California at the same time. ALL the people are a little much for me, but when I move I told Scott I want to move to a small farm town and raise organic chickens and have my kids gather eggs.f Oh that is sooo unrealistic, Scott in a small town, he would die! I would to if I couldn't get to a Target in 10 minutes or less. Let me know how your Family is doing? So fun to see your Blog and see how everyone is doing. I love blogs and seeing old friends and their families!