Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Story Can So Beat Up Your Story...

You know those times when everything has to happen in just such a way and the moons align in just such an order and Murphy writes a new law just special for you just to make the perfect moment - one for the books (or blog for that matter!)? I always say that I've had enough embarrassing moments to last a lifetime, but apparently there's plenty more in store. So sit back and take a peek into my life - because I know you're laughing with me, totally not at me!
A while back I started up a pretty intense exercise regimen and discovered in the first week that the few pairs of old underwear I had weren't going to cut it. I headed out to my nearest Target to purchase some basic, comfortable, nothing too exciting - just something to get the job done - packs of underwear. (the fact that they come in packs should have been enough of a description, but whatever) I had my two younger kids with me - wrestling in the aisles and whining for treats - and was talking to my sister on the phone as I browsed the underwear section. I just wanted something basic - no thongs, no low riders - just basic, but I did have my standards. After checking out the charts on the back (so not a good thing for the self esteem!) I knew the size I wanted and finally found the style that looked reasonable. I threw a few other items in my cart (because you can never leave Target without spending less then $100) and headed on my merry way. The next day I headed out to the gym and without looking at anything too closely I opened the packaged underwear and threw a pair in. When I got to the gym I started to change and unrolled my brand-spankin-new undies. (yes, that's unroll - like I said, BASIC!) only to discover that, by mistake, I bought the biggest granny panties I have ever seen - not the cute boy cut I was eyeing, but big, rise to your chest, balloon out to the legs granny panties. What was I supposed to do? I kept arguing with myself that it was silly, no one would see them and not to be so vain - besides, I already bought them and I didn't want to waste any more money on another package. I went with it and was somewhat proud of myself for not letting vanity win (well how proud can you be sporting a parachute under your pants?) Months have passed and although I still can't stand even the sight of them and cringe when I'm doing laundry, they've worked for me so I've moved on...in a sense.
I always change at the gym after my workout and the only privacy for changing they have is what I would call an over sized cupboard - with no locks. Since there is no way I'm changing in full view (oh, please) I always use the cupboard and have almost mastered the quick change from gym clothes to towel. I've also determined that I'd rather be caught "butt-naked" then in my granny panties - so they are ALWAYS the first to come off. I don't even take my shorts off separately - it's all one motion. I even take my shoes off before I go into the cupboard (for lack of space) just to make the quick change more efficient. Now here comes the whole moons align, Murphy's law part of the story...
The changing room is packed- mostly women coming in from the pool. I grab my bag from my locker and head into the cupboard wondering if there will be any showers available. I'm totally distracted as I hear a lot of commotion just outside the cupboard. Not paying any attention to my routine I start to undress - from the top down!!!! I get to my shorts and have them down to my ankles and realize my shoes are still on...CRAP! I hurry and shimmy out of my shorts and think better then to try and get my grannies over my shoes. I'm halfway done taking off my shoes and socks- one shoe off and one shoe on - when the cupboard door flies open to about 6 teenage girls. There I am in granny panties and one tennis shoe standing in utter shock staring at 6 teenagers with horror stricken faces!!!! Another girl - not the one holding the door open - hurries over to shut the door. My worst nightmare EVER just came true! I hear total silence out there and then comes the snickering and whispering. What am I supposed to do - wait it out? They're teenagers - they're going to take forever to get ready!!! I have to face them sooner or later. I finish undressing - not much left - and wrap the towel so tight around me and slowly open the door. One has her head in the locker right above mine and as I approach her friend calls out "Holly move - she's coming through." "She's coming through"?! No need to even explain who "she" is apparently- they all back up to give me room and I throw my gym clothes back in my locker. I wanted to turn around and say so many things...
- explain to them about the underwear - would they even believe me?
- tell them that I used to be young and cute at one time - would they even care?
- explain that this is what happens to your body when you have 4 kids - scary, I know!
- usually I'm A LOT more stylish, but I was trying not to be vain...yada, yada, yada
- lecture about the whole "knocking before you open" thing - too late now!
So instead I just headed off to the showers hoping that if I stayed in there long enough they would be gone by the time I came out. I did not ever want to see their horrified faces again. i finished showering, they were gone and I survived. I'm totally heading out to Target tonight - no talking on the phone this time. (I'm checking and double checking - and just for good measure, triple checking before this package even goes in the bag!) I'm running back to vanity with open arms and promising to never ever think that I'm better then it - totally sucks for the moral of the story, but whoever said there always had to be one?

15 comments:

Leslie said...

Well, like the title of the blog says -- LITTLE MISS FANCY PANTS! LOL Come on, embrace your grannies! :-)

Kaylene said...

Oh Emily, I am so laughing with you!

Jenni said...

OH EMILY!! Why didn't you say "it's occupied"??? IT'S OCCUPIED!!!!

Totally laughing with you.....

Kim said...

Oh dear Emily - you are so entertaining! I would love to hear the story from the teenage girls' perspective =)

Jules said...

Wow, Em! If Bella is a danger magnet, you are an embarrassing moments magnet. I'm so sorry for you, but thanks for brightening our day with your hilarious life. You know I love you!

Wendy said...

I have had way too many laughs about this one today. I just read it out loud to Jake and still can't believe it's true. Just curious, what is the actual cut of the granny underwear?

Tracy said...

You are hillarious. You have me laughing so hard (with you of course). You made my day :)

Elena said...

tears of joy I weep today... I think the fact that my allergies are in full gear combined with laughter was the real reason I need TWO TISSUES to read this blog entry. Ways it could have been worse:
1. Dirty grannies -- ohhh, the shame.
2. Letting a noisy one "rip" during the ordeal.
3. Falling out of the closet

I'm just trying to give you some dignity. By the way, I totally have the unroll, Wal-mart, low-rise Hanes-Her-Way undies. Oh yeah, gettin' jiggy wit' it...

Tracy said...

Oh Emily. I remember you buying those, you know the really reason why you bought them... the COMFORT! I'm telling you, you have to change in the handicap stall in the bathroom if you want full privacy. That's what I did while I was pregnant at 24hour.

I still have to have Joe read this story, he's going to love it!

See you in a few days!

Jenni said...

I want you to know that your 'stories' had me and Don rolling tonight while we celebrated our belated anniversary at the Cheesecake Factory. I could barely contain myself enough to retell the story---thanks for the entertainment--again, we're laughing WITH you! Much love!

Jessica said...

amen sista' no moral needed here. I wonder how bad it really was - too bad that no one else was there to second that! I would have been all to willing ;)

Stacy said...

It could have been worse. You could have been wearing the more fashionable thong and facing the wrong direction! Atleast you were caught in the more conservative of undie choices. And hey, you never what will come back into style. Maybe 6 months from now grannies will be the rage and you can tell those girls you "schooled" them on fashion forward underwear.

Diane said...

I'm glad you weren't in a family dressing room and had a guy open the door. I'm glad because you would have had to make sure he never lived to tell about it and then I'd be visiting you in jail. Seriously, you'll get plenty of mileage out of this story and eventually, it will be worth it.

Becky O said...

Okay Emily, this is the best story. I miss laughing with you at all of your embarassing moments at Tres Jolie. This is a good one. I am totally with you, vanity is not all bad. I love Jennies comment about you yelling.."its occupied." That worked before, right? Anyways, I finally have my blog up, so now I will be peeking more at yours. Hope you dont mind. Love Becky

Jenny said...

That was the greatest story ever! Sorry it had to be yours! ...Still laughing... Jenny (Tucker)