Monday, August 11, 2008

It's All In The Name

For quite some time now Darren has been affectionately calling the boys "Big Chief". They love it and it makes them smile so it's all good. Now I'm always a big nick-namer, as you all probably have been subject to my impulse/compulsion (sorry, but I do try to use restrain, honestly - I do!), and they almost always are weird and rhyming - definitely not mushy gushy. I'm the first to admit that I'm not into all those cute names that couples call each other (gag reflex just stimulated!) - not counting the ones you use, of course:) "Honey" is about all I can handle - it works - we're good. Darren and I have used it from almost day one...until recently. Apparently he noticed what a hit "Big Chief' was with the boys, so then came to the obvious conclusion that I would most definitely respond the same way. Ummmm...... no thanks (insert serious eye rolling here). As much as I should be honored by this declaration of adoration, all I can picture is...

Not exactly the image that goes along with "you are the love of my life and I will cherish you forever...yada, yada, yada". Darren doesn't quite get my aversion to his little pet name and I try DESPERATELY not to respond when he uses this, but unfortunately habits die hard and I almost always respond when he's talking tome then start cursing aloud (at myself for responding and him for using it in the first place) while he doubles over laughing. I'm sure anyone within ear shot of our conversation must immediately turn to their significant other and whisper " I'm so glad we're NOTHING like them, Babe!" (ugh!)

3 comments:

Natalie said...

SOO funny! I don't think I would be so hot on the name either. Scott and I are not big on names but I used to say DEAR, all the time until a friend of ours brought it to my attention. I always used it when I was trying to prove a point of me being right. UGGGG so ugly!

Life is good out here and I can't wait until school starts! 2 weeks, but who's counting. Hope you are all doing well. Love to keep in touch and see how all is going. Hope your house hunting is going well keep me posted. Keep watching the Olympics I too love them and cheering the USA on!!

Jenni said...

Big Chief huh? Sounds totally romantic. That's definitely what every girl wants to be called-- especially in public. Brayden has had the nickname "Chief" since he was born, I don't think I would respond too well if Don called started calling me by it!

Thanks for the cute comment on my post today---yes we are a "Fun loving, texting couple" I literally laughed out loud!

Wendy said...

I've heard worse. A lot worse. I miss you guys when I hear stories like that. Are you coming down in October?