Tuesday, May 27, 2008

100 Things

I thought it would be fun to try and come up with 100 different/random things about me. Was there even 100 things? Would I be exposing too much about myself? Would this even be interesting? I tried it and here are the results:

1.I don’t swear (not since high school anyways) and I still get teased about it at 34…seriously?!
2.I love to read. I probably average 3 books a month but have to alternate between hardcopy and audio just so I can get things done.
3.I love to quilt. I’ve been quilting since high school and have lost track of how many quilts I’ve made. I’m in the middle of 3 right now.
4.I can’t stand fake people. Mean people – whatever, I’ll try to be on their good side, if not I avoid them. Fake people? I’ve decided they just aren’t worth the effort. Sorry.
5.I love music. Anyone that knows me knows that I love love love music. I have everything from Beethoven and Phantom to ACDC and Eminem on my ipod.
6.I love the rain. Nothing better then being inside reading a book on a rainy day.
7.I just had fish for the first time at 34 – and I survived. Darren is still in shock!
8.I still don’t like onions. I’ve tried them and just don’t like them.
9.I love to laugh and I love to be around people that make me laugh.
10.I love scary movies – but I really shouldn’t watch them. I still won’t sleep with any part of my body for fear that something will grab me from under the bed.
11.I have an addictive personality – nothing in moderation.
12.I love to see my kids laugh – it brings tears to my eyes almost all the time.
13.I’m deathly afraid of heights
14.I analyze way too much – I know, I know.
15.I am not spontaneous (much to Darren’s dismay)
16.I love to be organized. Everything has a place and that place probably has a label.
17.I have a fear of tight spaces. I can remember when I was a kid and the cartoon dog would chase the cartoon cat through a junk yard and the cat would slip through a long pipe and the dog would chase after it and get stuck inside the pipe. I remember it like it was yesterday -still makes me queasy.
18.I usually don’t like to see a movie twice – been there, done that, let’s move on.
19.It’s pretty easy for me to make friends. I love to get to know people and can always find something to talk about.
20.I am a loyal friend.
21.I love Chinese food.
22.If I could go anywhere in the world I’d travel around Ireland. I think I must have been Irish in another life.
23.I was the black sheep in my family growing up and I married to golden child of his family – go figure
24.I can’t sing – but I sooooo wish I could. I would trade my talent for scrapbooking for the ability to sing in a heart beat.
25.I love to scrapbook, nothing new.
26.I tend to eat only one food group at a time. If I have a b and c on a plate then I’ll eat all of a, turn the plate and eat all of b…and so on. Weird, I know.
27.I don’t like the sound of my voice.
28.I have conversations inside my head, is this normal?
29.I love doughnuts.
30.I love action movies. I think I’ve seen every Schwarzenegger film out there.
31.I love to learn new things. Someday I’ll go back to college.
32.I taught myself how to cross stitch.
33.I kicked my addiction to Diet Coke – yee haw!
34.I can’t stand karaoke (see fact 24)
35.I pretty much always wear earrings. I feel naked without them.
36.I miss my long hair.
37.I’m good at making up stories for my kids.
38.I’m handy with a pair of scissors. I thought it was normal but I started to notice how others cut…yikes!
39.I say Seriously? a lot. I never noticed it until my 4 year old started to say it to me all the time. Dude!
40.Oh yeah, I say dude a lot too!
41.I don’t mind doing laundry. Good thing since I have 4 kids.
42.I’m always double checking my spelling. I have it in my head that I’m a bad speller and I’m learning that I’m not that bad. I think reading has helped a lot.
43.I’m sensitive. It has both its good points and its bad.
44.I vacuum almost daily. It never looks clean until it’s vacuumed.
45.I’m a HUGE drinker. Combine that with my addictive personality and it’s a good thing I don’t drink alcohol.
46.I would love to be on the Amazing Race. I think the biggest challenge would be flying by the seat of my pants.
47.I have a high tolerance for pain – probably because I’ve lived with it for over 20 years.
48.I liked high school, I hated junior high.
49.I care too much what other people think.
50.I love jewelry.
51.I don’t like to drive just to drive. Darren loves to go for a drive – no thanks.
52.I like to listen to my music way to loud – way to loud.
53.I’ve never been on a cruise – but we are going next year for Darren’s 40th birthday.
54.I’m a perfectionist and it’s kind of a pain.
55.I yell too much.
56.I miss my friend Jenni – we laughed A Lot! (Hi Jenni)
57.I love to wear the color black, I’ll NEVER wear the color purple.
58.I always have way too many projects going on at one time.
59.I’ve had to learn to stand up for myself over the years – and it’s about time. I’m still learning thanks to my sisters and their examples.
60.I secretly want a tattoo.
61.Whenever I play games I always want to be red.
62.I’m jealous of people who are close with their in-laws.
63.I really like facial hair on guys – not just a mustache though, except if you’re Magnum P.I.
64.Cooking is a chore for me still, sorry Darren.
65.I’ve never been close to a pet. I can’t relate to those that are.
66.I think I’m younger and hipper than I actually am. I’m embarrassed when people find my CD’s – I just tell them their Reilly’s now.
67.I love to drive fast. Some of my favorite movie scenes are car chases.
68.I’m still hoping someday I can work for the FBI or CIA – even if it’s just making copies at Quantico.
69.I can’t stand jewelry on men – except for their wedding rings of course.
70.I waste too much time on the computer, case in point.
71.I don’t watch rated R movies, haven’t for years. I don’t judge those that do either. To each their own.
72.I can keep a secret – it’s vaulted.
73.I don’t like to share my drinks – just ask Darren.
74.I always order the same thing at my two favorite restaurants: Spicy Cashew Chicken at Cheesecake Factory and Grilled Steak salad at CafĂ© Rio – and probably always will. Why mess with a good thing?
75.I’m a list maker…obviously. It doesn’t get done if it’s not on the list.
76.I’m awful at returning phone calls, sorry guys.
77.If I didn’t know better I’d think my friend Heidi and I were separated at birth. Love Ya Heidi!
78.I stay up way too late and hate getting up in the morning.
79.I absolutely love The Office – it just makes me happy.
80.I like to tease my kids – something I got from my mom.
81.I wrestle with Darren and the kids all the time. They always end up ganging up on me though.
82.I have way too many embarrassing moments for just one person – some I still don’t even share.
83.I take FOREVER to get ready. I don’t know why, I just get distracted. I hate the whole process.
84.I never dated anyone younger then me and I think I only dated 2 guys with blonde hair. I liked them dark and I like them old I guess.
85.I don’t judge people. I’ve been judged and been judged wrong way too many times.
86.I can talk to anybody. My brother-in-law always asks if I’m writing a book. Yes Dennis, yes I am.
87.My mother-in-law cried when Darren and I got engaged. Oh the wows of marrying a golden child/baby of the family/mamma’s boy.
88.I hope that I can have the relationship with Reilly that Darren has with her now. I love her so much, but we are so different right now. She’s actually just like how I was when I was her age though. Someday it will come.
89.I’m not as high maintenance as people may think.
90.I can quote movie lines, a lot of movie lines. I’m a little like Rain Man in that regard.
91.I can’t do any kind of accent what-so-ever. I wish I could though.
92.I love to shop – it’s like a high for me. Again, sorry Darren.
93.I suck at sports. I don’t like to watch them either. Darren has tried for years to get me to enjoy watching sports but I think he’s resigned to the fact that it just ain’t gonna happen!
94.I have a fetish for purses and shoes. You can never have too many.
95.I absolutely love to travel with Darren. We always have such a good time. I’m hoping to go to Monterey with him next month, fingers crossed.
96.I love “big” things – big cars, big rings/jewelry, big purses, big furniture, big everything.
97.I used to hate my name until I was about 25. I was so embarrassed to put my name on my wedding announcement – I didn’t want Darren’s old friends finding out he was marrying someone by the name of Emily. I used to tell people it wasn’t my real name, I actually had them going for a while. I’m okay with the name now though.
98.I’d rather be cold then hot. There’s nothing worse then sweating in stifling heat and nothing you can do about it. Yuck.
99.I’m cheap when it comes to utilities. I’d rather spend money on almost anything else so I limit the a/c, dishwasher etc. Surprised? Yeah, I thought so.
100. One day, when I’m old and grey, I hope to look back on my life and be proud. Proud of what I’ve overcome, proud of how I lived my life, proud of the family I created, proud of the person I’ve become. I hope that I will not be remembered for the things I made, but rather for the way I made people feel. I hope my legacy is more then my scrapbooks and quilts. I hope that others will see that there was so much more to me.

So, any surprises? I know I'm pretty much an open book anyways, but this was good for me. Man I have a lot of things I want/need to work on. Thanks for putting up with me anyways.

11 comments:

Kaylene said...

Whew!! I am tired just reading it! Way to go on the 100 list!! Great #100 and 94 is sooo true. You really can't ever have too many pairs of shoes or bags/purses. Thanks for sharing, it was fun to read.

Wendy said...

I have just a few thoughts regarding #'s:
6. It actually sounds like you enjoy avoiding the rain.
10. Jessica and I just watched Disturbia and now I'm on the computer trying to get my mind off it!
17. You don't like tight spaces? Then don't come near my spanx!
28. So do I.
30. Have you seen Scorpion King? Jake has. I still think that he must be joking.
46. I think that you would pretty much suck at the Amazing Race but you'd make good tv.
55. Where did you pick up yelling???
60. It's not a secret anymore.
70. Just think it was only a few months ago when you were just learning how to google.
100. You can be proud now Em.

Love ya!

Tracy said...

I can testify you had fish... I could smell it in my room and had dreams about it all night.

After I read #39, I was going to say... #40 better be there too.

Kim said...

How much do you miss your long hair? Do you regret cutting it? Cause mine is coming off - and way more of it than you did. Okay, I'm actually still somewhat on the fence about it. That's why I want to know how much you miss it!!!

Natalie said...

You are quite the woman and I am so glad to know you. I am like you with the earring thing. I always have to have earrings on or I feel naked. People laugh at me, but earrings make me happy!

Hope all is well with your family.

Jenni said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I miss you too, and yes we did have some belly buster laughs!! We need to do that again. July? I'll be in town.....the whole month.

Diane said...

Okay, let's clear up a few things.
#8 You do like onions (pureed).
#23 Not one of my children is a black sheep -- NOT ONE!!
#39 Is that why Ryann said, "Seriously, Grandma, tell me."
#60 A tatoo? Seriously?
#88 I have every confidence that Reilly will be close to you, no matter how different the two of you are (but I see many similarities).
#100 I have learned much from you and am so very proud of you.

Anne said...

Hi Emily, I found you through Steph or Kim. I can't remember who but I LOVE your blog. It's so funny and it's eyecandy on top of that.

So where do you learn how to do all this great layout stuff??? My blog needs help. Do you teach classes?

Kathy said...

That was great! There were quite a few that made me realize our cousin 'genes' are pretty strong... and maybe our organized grandparents weren't spontaneous but were addictive and sensitive?! Seriously?! J/K

Janan said...

good read. I also love rainy days, and I think I can clarify to Wendy it is not being out in the rain neccessarily, but having the sound of it pounding on the ground and the roof and the smell in the air and the way it makes you want to cozy up to someone you love and...read books and watch movies and drink hot chocolate. We've suffered for the month of May because I've refused to use our AC. I wanted just ONE MONTH where hundreds of dollars was not buying AIR. It's on now, I can only take so much.

Anne Marie said...

What a great list about you. I look at Taylor and Jared, and they are so alike that they often clash. But I also think that they will ultimately bond and be really close as they get older because they enjoy similar things. That's what I thought of when I heard about you and Reilly. I think Emily is such a pretty name. I'm really surprised that you haven't always loved it. My name is too loooong. I can't tell you how many times someone thought I introduced myself as Emery or Anne Murray (you mean like the singer?). Anyway, next time we're in Utah, we have got to make sure we see you. Your kids are getting so old, and it's been too long.