Friday, February 22, 2008

No Way!!!!

Okay, so we all have our fashion "favorites" from the past...you know those styles that we look back on and still can't believe we wore. I have quite a number of fashion mishaps from junior high through high school (hair tightly permed, earrings so big that even some tribes in Africa would be jealous, painted t-shirts with the buckle slide off to one side etc...). I have to say that one of my top fashion faves from the past, one that I look back on and think what was I doing?! would have to be my colorful heels. I had the same sweetheart styled pump in EVERY color, but my favorites were the bright fire engine red and the royal (not navy...ROYAL) blue. I wore each pair to a different dance and my friends were always impressed (ha ha) by how well my shoes matched my dresses, and I always felt like such the bomb! Whenever I see old dance pictures my eyes were immediately drawn to the shoes and I roll my eyes at these now infamous shoes - YUCK! Imagine my surprise when I'm shopping for boots at my local Dillard's and as I'm sitting there waiting for the lady to bring me the right size of these fabulous brown boots I want to try on I look up and sitting right in front of me is a whole display of these exact same brightly colored sweetheart pumps.
I couldn't believe my eyes - are these really making a comeback?! I couldn't help myself, I had to pick one up and make sure I wasn't dreaming the whole thing up. The lady comes bearing boxes of boots and immediately asks if I want to try the hot pink pump on that I'm holding in my hand. my first reaction was to trow the shoe down, embarrassed to be associated with the thing (what if she could tell I used to own about 5 pair, what if everyone there could tell???? ahhh!!!!) I could barely utter a "No Thanks" without laughing. Am I really getting that old? It was one thing when the 70's came back - I hardly knew what clothes were when it was popular the first time, the 80's comeback just made me laugh, but now the early 90's are making an appearance? Let me locate my Milli Vanilli tape and Lee Press-On nails and I'll be ready to go...like it or not.

2 comments:

Kaylene said...

Are those the shoes you wore to the dance with Brandon, oh I forgot his last name, with the black and white polka dot dress? For some reason I totally remember you wearing that. How great was high school!

Anonymous said...

I had a pair of purple pumps with a purple lycra skirt and a bedazzled shirt. It was straight out of 90210. I will also admit to the spiral perm and the big clips to hold my even bigger hair. AHHH... the 90's. I am not as worried about the shoe come back as I am about leggings and baby doll dresses. The only thing worse is stir-up pants and body suits.
--Stacy